The following news briefs are from November and December issues of The Brethren Missionary Herald magazine and FGBC World newspaper.
Sixty-Five Years Ago – 1944
First Grace Brethren Church, Grafton, W. Va., reported that they purchased a bus to bring people to their services who have no other way to come. It was reported as a “miracle,” as sufficient donations came in during a two-week period to pay cash for the bus, buy license, etc.
Fifty-Five Years Ago – 1954
The Washington Heights Brethren Church (W. Carl Miller, pastor) in Roanoke, Va., was dedicated with Lester Pifer as the dedication speaker.
Forty-Five Years Ago – 1964
“You can burn our church, but you can’t burn our faith,” said by Dr. Charles Mayes after the fiery destruction of the First Brethren Church building in Long Beach, Calif. An arsonist had done the job. The church decided to relocate to a four-and-one-half-acre plot in the heart of Long Beach.
Thirty-Five Years Ago – 1974
All four living charter members attended the sixtieth anniversary service of the First Brethren Church (Jesse B. Deloe, pastor), Whittier, Calif., on September 29. Jennie Culp, Mildred Epperly, Ethelyn Gnagy, and Edith Hand were given orchids and scrolls in acknowledgment of their contribution to the church.
Twenty-Five years Ago – 1984
The Peninsula Grace Brethren Church, Soldotna, Alaska, recently dedicated their building. The speaker was Larry Smithwick, pastor of the Grace Brethren Church at Anchorage, Alaska. Other Alaskan pastors – John Gillis, Earl Moore, and Jim Jackson – took part in the service.
Fifteen Years Ago – 1994
The Southwest Grace Brethren Church (Tony Webb, pastor), Grove City, Ohio, dedicated their new building Sunday, October 16. The church began in 1977 under the leadership of Quentin Matthis.
Five Years Ago – 2004
Offices of the Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches (FGBC) moved into the BMH office complex in Winona Lake. The offices are located in the BMH building to the right (north) of the former Herald Bookstore.
The Grace Brethren Church (Terrance Taylor, pastor), Canton, Ohio, celebrated its 100th anniversary. Dr. David Plaster, who grew up in the Canton church, spoke.