The board of directors of the Brethren Missionary Herald Company recently concluded its two-day meeting, held at Northwest Chapel in Dublin, Ohio, and hosted by Todd Scoles. The meeting began with a luncheon that included the pastor of the host church, Terry Hofecker, and his wife, Debbie.
All board members were present, including newly-elected board member Liz Cutler Gates, and officers elected for the coming year include:
President – Dan Thornton
Vice President – Todd Scoles
Secretary – Pat Phillips
Treasurer – Bruce Barlow
Member-at-Large – Bob Arenobine.
Much of the board’s time was spent reviewing financial and potential impact information for the 11 major publishing projects of BMH during calendar 2005. In addition to producing six issues of the bi-monthly FGBC World, the publication linking Grace Brethren churches and people, book-length new products during 2005 include:
1. Reprint of Alva J. McClain’s “Greatness of the Kingdom”
2. Homer Kent, Jr.’s re-written and expanded commentary on the Gospel of Mark
3. Homer Kent, Jr.’s re-edited and updated commentary on the Gospel of John
4. Homer Kent, Jr.’s re-edited and updated commentary on the Epistle of James
5. Dr. Duke Heller’s “How to Start a Kingdom Conversation” book on personal witnessing
6. “Heroes Who Live On, Vol. 2” Grace Brethren heroes, by Bob Cover, Sr. and Viki Rife
7. Roger Peugh and Tammy Schultz’s “Transformed in His Presence: The Need for Prayer in Counseling”
8. Keith Shearer’s “Childlike Faith,” which coordinates with this year’s FGBC emphasis
9. Jim Pearson’s “Minefields in the Marketplace” on ethical issues in business (to appear November 1)
10. Larry McCall’s “Walking Like Jesus Did” character studies on the life of Christ (to appear late 2005)
11. Sherwood Lingenfelter and Bobby Gupta’s “Breaking Tradition” on training leaders for a national church planting movement, based on a case study in India (to appear late 2005)
All BMH books are available online through www.bmhbooks.com or by calling 1-800-348-2756. Quantity discounts are available for those wishing to use BMH Books as texts for classes, ABFs or small-group studies.
A number of other topics were on the board’s agenda, including approval of a 2006 operating budget, performance evaluation of the Executive Director, continuing “cleanup” activities to close out GBC Media LLC, and continuing efforts to build trust and accomplish BMH’s mission of building bridges of communication among the people and churches of the Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches.
The next meeting of the full board will be in August at the FGBC National Conference in Indian Wells, California.
Board members include Dan Thornton (chair), Todd Scoles, Bob Arenobine, Bruce Barlow, Pat Phillips, Nathan Bryant, Rick Fairman, Liz Gates, and Barb Wooler.