The Social Concerns Committee of the Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches articulates helpful positions regarding social concerns for Grace Brethren churches and leaders. Because of the decentralized nature of our Fellowship, these statements are typically proposed, revisited and approved as resolutions at the time of our annual national conference each July.
Because of the gravity of the Charlottesville incident, the committee felt that a response was needed. Below is a statement from the committee, which is chaired by Dr. Don Shoemaker.
We are all heartbroken by the incident in Charlottesville. Worse, subsequent events have deteriorated our nation’s fabric and our ability (willingness?) to communicate and seek reconciliation even more.
The Social Concerns Committee is passing on this important information, which may be accessed in this document: Charlottesville-Response.FGBCSC.
- The Committee’s Position Statement on the Charlottesville incident
- Restatement of our Conference-adopted “Essential Civility” resolution with recommendation for you to use it widely. (Click here to read this statement online.)
- A statement by the National Association of Evangelicals
- A statement by Charles E. Blake, Presiding Bishop of the Church of God in Christ
- “Charlottesville Through the Eyes of an Ex-White Supremacist