As I share my heart with you, I give you the things that are most dear to me. I pray that you will embrace them as foundational values for your life and ministry. May you grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In so doing, I pray that you will:
- Promote the glory of God as you move through life and ministry. That must be your greatest motive
- Walk in truth/love the truth/seek the truth/be a man of the truth/integrity
- Preach the Truth/the Word/live and die by the Word of Truth
- Promote holy love/walk in love/love the brethren/honor the brethren/model love, tenderness as mother cares for her children, shepherd the flock of God, “anointing their heads with oil” and encouragement.
- Love your wife, honor her, protect her, serve her, pray for her, be an example to younger men of how to “love your wife as Christ loves the church and gave Himself for her.”
- Recognize our vulnerability to the temptations of the flesh, and put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provisions for the flesh. Let your eyes look straight ahead, turning not to the right or to the left. Keep your feet from evil. If you seek to life a life of transparency you find it easier to avoid temptations to “secrecy” in relationships, private internet “surfing”, etc
- Cooperate with the way God has gifted you. Be comfortable and thankful for who you are, and be yourself in ministry as you grow in grace. You will find greater joy here than in trying to be like someone else in their ministry.
- Be alert to false doctrines and false teachers, and protect the Church that God has given you to shepherd
- Avoid the temptation to pride. All that we have is a gift from God, so seek to maintain the practice on ongoing praise and thanksgiving to God.
- Be known as a giving/generous person … with your time, your encouragement, your resources. The ministry is a precious privilege, not an entitlement.
By Darrel Taylor